The English philology programme curriculum is designed to prepare the graduates for a wide range of academic and professional careers, which require advanced knowledge of several foreign languages and high level linguistic, literary and cultural competence. It offers courses focusing on the core areas of English Philology: Linguistics, Applied Linguistics, Literature and Culture.
All students acquire Basics of Translation Theory, English Normative Phonetics and Phonology, Integrated Text Analysis, Translation Seminars, Literature of Middle Ages and Renaissance, English Literature of Classicism and Enlightenment, Entrepreneurship, Latin, etc.
In the 5th semester, students specialize either in Linguistics (Language, Culture, Translation; Creative Writing, EU Institutional and Project Management Discourse, Language, Culture, Translation (Scandinavian languages), Internship in Applied Linguistics) or Literature and culture (Introduction to Visual and Film Studies, Realism in American Literature, Methodologies of Literary Research, Visual and Film Studies (Scandinavian culture).
The programme prepares the graduates for different careers in the public and private sector in the local and international labour market, which require the application of profound knowledge of foreign languages, literature and culture in other disciplines and applied social contexts such as education, business, law, the art, politics and the media.
Bachelors degree programme English Philology module English-Englishcurriculum:
Bachelors degree programme English Philology module English-Scandinaviancurriculum:
IELTS band : 4.5 TOEFL paper-based test score : 480 TOEFL iBT® test : 53
To study at this university, you have to speak English. We advice you totake an IELTS test. More About IELTS
1.General secondary education diploma is required to be admitted for studies at the University of Latvia;
2. English language knowledge, which must be proved with a grade in English recorded in the secondary education transcript (the grade can be replaced with the results of one of the internationally recognized language tests).
1. Satisfactory grade in English (60%);
2. Grade point average (20%);
3. A certificate of the Latvian language (20%).
Please note! Only EU/EEA/Swiss citizens and EU long-term resident status holders can compete for a state-financed study place.
No work experience is required.
"The Academic Excellence Scholarship can provide up to a 50 % reduction in tuition per semester. These scholarships will be renewed if the student maintains superior academic performance during each semester of their 3-year Bachelor programme. The scholarship will be directly applied to the student’s tuition fees."
Scholarships for students who are already attending the University of Reading.
The University of Amsterdam aims to attract the world’s brightest students to its international classrooms. Outstanding students from outside the European Economic Area can apply for an Amsterdam Merit Scholarship.
* The scholarships shown on this page are suggestions first and foremost. They could be offered by other organisations than University of Latvia.
In accordance with bilateral agreements on co-operation in education and science, the State Education Development Agency (Valsts izglitibas attistibas agentura – VIAA) offers scholarships to students, researchers and teaching staff of several countries for studies in Latvian higher education institutions (HEIs).
Applications will be accepted from students who have successfully completed at least one academic year of studies at their home HEI. (Students already studying in a Latvian HEI may apply for the Latvian scholarship as well.) If a student wants to continue her/his studies in Latvia for one extra year, she/he has to apply for the Latvian scholarship again. The Latvian scholarship can be awarded twice. Scholarships for studies are granted for a period of up to 10 months. They are applicable only towards full-time studies in Latvia. On-the-job studies, part-time studies and correspondence courses are not eligible for scholarship funding.
1) Application form;
2) Curriculum Vitae;
3) Motivation letter;
4) Certified photocopies of HEI-Diploma, including transcripts, or transcript of records, if studies are not finished yet;
5) One recommendation letter (written within the past six months) from the HEI lecturer/professor;
6) Invitation letter from the proposed Latvian HEI (please contact the International Relations Department/Unit or Foreign Students Department/unit of the Latvian HEI directly); List of contact persons in the Latvian HEIs.
7) Certificate (or other document) of language proficiency required for studies.
8) Copy of passport or identity card.
All applications will be evaluated and the final decision on granting scholarships will be made by the evaluation committee of State Education Development Agency.
The amount of the Latvian scholarship for studies is:
a) for bachelor and master students – LVL 350 per month;
b) for PhD students – LVL 470 per month.